You can use your thinking to bring about changes in your functioning.
Lie Down to Rest and Refresh Yourself
This is a procedure that you can try out for yourself at home. It’s a method of bringing about changes in yourself using your thinking.
It’s very useful because
1) It sharpens your awareness of yourself
2) It allows your muscles to let go of underlying tension that you’re not aware of.
What You’ll Need
- A yoga mat
- 2 or 3 paperback books, placed at one end of the yoga mat
- A quiet space
- 30 minutes time when you will be undisturbed
Listen to the talk through a couple of times until you’re familiar with it and then use it to guide yourself through the procedure.
- Think about what you may have observed while you were going through the procedure. This helps to sharpen your awareness of yourself.
- Note down your observations. You will then have a record of the progress of your ongoing practice.
How You Use This
- Make it a point to practise this for 15 – 20 minutes at least once a day.
- If you already have an exercise or yoga routine, add this on at the beginning or end of your practice.
- Make sure you practise the thinking as well as the position!
Other Activities You Can Try
- Go through What the Alexander Technique Is Not. This will give you a clear idea of how exactly the Alexander Technique can help you.
- Check out Thinking Well to give you a sense of how strongly our thinking influences our muscles.
- If you want to explore further, go to the other activities on Things to Try. They will give you an idea of what Alexander Technique work is like.
- You can also opt for lessons. Courses gives you an overview of your options so you can figure out what works for you. You can go to Individual , Group or Online courses if you want to check them out directly.
- Prefer an introductory lesson straightaway? Contact me to book a lesson.
Good use is the effective use of the postural mechanisms in the field of gravity. (Carolyn Nicholls)